Location of Lempuyang Temple
This temple is located in Tista Village, Abang District, Karangasem Regency, precisely at the top of Bisbis Hill.
From the city of Denpasar, Lempuyang Temple Location can be reached through the tourist area of Candi Dasa, passing through the city of Amlapura, which is approximately 2 hours away.
Another alternative route is to pass through the Karangasem Strait Subdistrict, through the city of Semarapura by taking the path that leads to the road to Besakih.
History of Lempuyang Temple
Lempuyang Temple History and other Sad Kahyangan Temple were founded in the 11th century AD when Mpu Kuturan accompanied King Udayana to rule Bali with his queen.
Pura Sad Kahyangan was established to protect Bali so that people continue to do things that are justified according to religious teachings.
In Lontar Kutara Kanda Dewa Purana Bangsul was declared Sang Hyang Parameswara carrying mountains in Bali from Jambhudwipa (India), Mahameru Mount.
The piece of Mahameru Mount was brought to Bali and divided into three major parts and also small parts.
The middle part is made of Mount Batur and Mount Rinjani, while the peak is Mount Agung. The smaller fragments become the mountain slopes in Bali that are related to each other.
The mountains include Mount Tapsahi, Pengelengan, Siladnyana, Beratan, Batukaru, Nagaloka, Pulaki, Puncak Sangkur, Bukit Rangda, Trate Bang, Padang Dawa, Andhakasa, Uluwatu, Sraya and Gunung Lempuhyang.
The mountains are the stana of the Gods (manifestations of God) to guard Bali.
In the Sading C inscription in 1072 Saka stated that Lempuhyang Mount was also named Adri Karang Mount.
It is on Adri Karang Mount that Jayasakti King meditates, because that is the mountain also called Karangsemadi.
Jayasakti King was ordered by his father Sang Hyang Guru to go down to Bali to build a temple to become a safe and prosperous area.
Jayasakti King invited the commanders and their assistants and the people to realize the order of Sang Hyang Guru to build Bali by beginning the construction of a temple on Gunung Lempuhyang which was the place of worship of God as Sang Hyang Iswara.
Pujawali Ceremony (anniversary) in Lempuyang Luhur Temple is of two types, namely every six months in Bali (210 days) to coincide with Thursday Umanis, Wara Dungulan (One day after Galungan Holyday) and at every Purnamaning Wesaka (full moon day between March-April).
Attractiveness of Lempuyang Temple
Lempuyang Temple Bali on this plateau has special charm for many tourists. This temple consists of seven temples with unique architectural designs and high artistic value.
To go to the main temple each tourist must climb the stairs first as many as 1700 pieces.
There are quite a number of steps that must be climbed, but during the trip to the top, tourists will be presented with views around and the chirping of birds that are free to roam.
The travellers are prohibited from disturbing the flora and fauna that live in the surrounding environment.
It is strongly recommended to ride it in the morning because with the air that is still much fresher in the morning it will have a positive impact on the body.
In addition, this temple also has many interesting spots to pose, one of which is in the gate or tourists often call it as Gate to Heaven Bali.
This gate has a height of about four meters and is a favourite spot for visitors.
With its background, the view of Agung Mountain is right in the middle of the gate. That is truly amazing.
Layout of Lempuyang Temple
Lempuyang Temple Architecture is divided into three areas, namely: Jaba Pisan or Nistaning Mandala (outer sanctum), Jaba Tengah or Madya Mandala (middle sanctum), and Jeroan or Utamaning Mandala (inner main sanctum).
- The entrance to Jaba pisan (outer sanctum) is marked by the white-painted candi bentar (split gate). Some The Bale (Balinese pavilions) are also here, including rectangular Bale Gong (where the gamelan is stored) and also Bale Kulkul.
- The entrance to Jaba Tengah (middle sanctum) is marked by three white-painted portals. The door on the left is used to enter, while the entrance to the right is used to exit. Central doors are usually closed and only opened during the religious ceremonies such anniversary ceremony (piodalan). The central portal is where sacred objects, heirlooms, and offerings can pass during the ceremony. The three stairs leading to the portal are flanked by statues of Dragons and Puppets Figures.
- Jeroan (inner main sanctum) is the most sacred area of the temple. The Area of Lempuyang Temple features several The Meru and Pelinggih (like a multi-storey tower), each of which is dedicated to the God. Some Padmasana Temple in the form of empty stone thrones, each dedicated to the Gods of Trimurti.
Prohibitions When Visiting
There are some Lempuyang Temple Rules and prohibitions that should not be violated when going up to Lempuyang Luhur Temple and if they are violated they will have a bad impact.
The prohibition is as follows:
- Thoughts, words, and deeds must be purified
- You can't say rude when visiting
- Women who are menstruating or breastfeeding and children who have not dated milk teeth should not first enter the temple area
- You can't bring gold jewelry, because often if you bring gold jewelry it will disappear mysteriously
- You may not bring food or eat pork when you go to Lempuyang Temple.